Tag Archives: fair use
Did you hear? Now on Flickr there are 200 million Creative Commons photos and counting! Flickr says: “We are proud to announce that – thanks to you – we now have 200 Million (and counting) public Creative Commons licensed photos on Flickr. This makes us the largest CC photo repository in the world!” Read more- and see more- here.
“Library media specialists empower students to be critical thinkers, enthusiastic readers, skillful researchers, and ethical users of information.” (AASL)
The Virtual Learning Center’s new LMS Academy focuses on the changing role of the Library Media Specialist in K-12 education today. Today’s LMS must play the versatile role of an instructional partner responsible for ensuring that students and staff are efficient and effective users of information. The academy will assist LMS personnel in teaching and connecting the new standards of AASL, ISTE and the NETS. Registration is open for all library media specialists to attend. Participants will:
- Learn how to develop lessons that support the AASL, ISTE & NETS Standards
- Understand the meaning of media literacy as it applies to 21st century skills
- Network with colleagues working in school libraries across the area and globally
- Learn digital tools that promote effective use of digital media for K12 students
- Examine problem based activities, plus web & media literacy lessons
- Examine best practices for Copyright & Fair Use
- Explore digital citizenship and literacy curriculum resources
- Contribute in an online learning community, such as Moodle or SchoolTown
- Research books by LMS experts such as Joyce Valenza & Kathy Schrock (one of the featured speakers at this year’s METC)
- Participate in 40 hours of blended learning professional development
- Attend one day of the Midwest Education Technology Conference
Dates and times of participation:
face-to-face classes at CSD
- October 27 ~ 4- 7 pm LMS Academy Kickoff
- November 7 ~ 8:30- 3:30 pm ~ Media Literacy tele class
- December 8 ~ 4- 7 pm LMS academy class
- January 26 ~ 8:30-3 :30 pm ~ Digital Citizenship tele class
- March 8~ 4-7 pm LMS Academy Celebration
additional online and outreach activities
- November 2 ~ online CSDVLC webinar 4- 5 pm
- November 6-12 ~ Media Literacy Week in St. Louis ~ attend choice of event(s)
- December 7 ~ online Free Cool Tools webinar 4- 5 pm
- January 18 ~ online Digital Citizenship webinar 4- 5 pm
- February 14 ~ attend 1 day of METC
Cost: $495 CSD Members/$595 Non-members. If you have questions, contact Stephanie Madlinger at firstname.lastname@example.org or 314-692-1212.
NEW DATES! Feb. 25 & 26 4-7 p.m.
One of the neat things about our blog is I am able to read what posts garner the most attention. Lately, “Internet Safety” has gotten a lot of hits. St. Louis area teachers, if this is a topic that interests you, remember that the VLC‘s tele classes include Online Street Smarts: Being Legal, Literate, and Secure. The next sessions are in February. Learn about Cyber Security, Personal Safety, Cyber Bulling, Cyber Predators; learn how to read URLs to find their hidden meaning, locate website owners, evaluate a website’s validity, and investigate fair use as it applies to student-created digital documents. You get so much info, it is actually a two night course. Once you leave the class, you will feel more confident about working online in your classes!